Tuesday, May 5, 2020 - 9 AM to 5 PM
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 - 8 AM to 5 PM
Thursday, May 7, 2020 - 8 AM to 3:30 PM
PennTRAIN’s new Master Trainer Program is a Train-the-Trainer course that teaches best practices to bus operators. Through a combination of self-paced study and a three-day instructor-led course incorporating hands-on training, Master Trainer Graduates will exit the program with the knowledge and skills necessary to coach their colleagues to be safe and effective bus operators.
The Master Trainer Program is exclusively designed for public transit employees whose job responsibilities include training. We recommend utilizing TAPTCO's tips on how to select a trainer.
Advance Work: Before attending the instructor-led course, participants must complete all of the following training programs. Each program is available online at any time.
- PennTRAIN’s Transit 101
- TSI’s Transit Bus Nomenclature
- TSI’s Fatigue and Sleep Apnea Awareness for Transit Employees
- TSI’s SMS Awareness
- TSI’s Curbing Transit Employee Distracted Driving
- TAPTCO’s Trainer Certification Program (access provided upon registration)
Instructor-Led Training: The three-day course, which is offered twice per year, will cover the following topics (exact outline is subject to change):
- Training Methods
- Lecture techniques
- Platform skills
- Adult Learning Principles
- Types of students
- Types of classrooms
- Student questions and actions
- Initial presentations
- Identifying Training Objectives
- Understanding the outcome desired
- Using established objectives
- Developing objectives
- Lesson Planning
- Anatomy of a lesson plan
- Understanding the lesson plans of others
- Creating your own lesson plan
- Understanding training time management
- Special Situations
- Emergencies, accidents, and special situations
- Security situations
- Medical and during class emergencies
- Instructor Etiquette
- Email and electronic messages
- Before class, arrangements with host
- During class and special situations
- After class
- Human resources and confidentiality
- Preparation for Lesson Delivery
- Preparation for in-class delivery
- Presentation of sample lesson
- Using video, aids, and other devices
- Classroom feedback
- Instructor feedback
- Practical Lesson Delivery
- Legal and Other Required Elements
- Drug and alcohol training
- Legal elements and documentation
- Government required sections and topics
- Your agency guidelines and policies
- Training Checklist and Resources
- Modular outline and available TAPTCO trainings
- Defensive Driving Overview
- Post-course Training Requirements
- Final Takeaways
Post-Course Work: Either before or within one year of attending the instructor-led course, participants must provide PennTRAIN with proof they completed at least one training program from each of the following categories. There is no minimum length for any program, and recommended sources will be provided.
- Defensive Driving
- Mobility Securement
- Operators/Employees (one of the following topics)
- Drug & Alcohol
- Bloodborne pathogens
- Safety (one of the following topics)
- Bus evacuations and emergencies
- Customers (one of the following topics)
- Conflict avoidance and harassment
- Mobility securement
- Understanding ADA
- Customer service
MASTER TRAINER CERTIFICATE
Upon completion of the outlined requirements, Master Trainer Certificates will be granted for a period of five years. Renewal requirements include:
- Attend at least two Master Trainer Retreats over the five-year period. Master Trainer Retreats will be scheduled 1-2 times per year.
- Deliver at least two workshops per year in their professional role as trainer at their agency.
- Attend at least one instructor-led training program per year. Alternatively, two live webinars or on-demand training programs can be substituted for one instructor-led training program.
Initial Restrictions for TransitSCORE Graduates:
To maintain an individualized approach and allow time for participant presentations, attendance is limited to twelve people per course. Due to this limited capacity, TransitSCORE Graduates will be eligible to earn their Master Trainer Certificate after the program has been available for a full year. Additionally, current TransitSCORE Graduates will not be required to complete the required online training programs provided by TSI.
Developed and Presented by: Maria Church, TransNet; Tom Eser, rabbittransit; and MIchael Noel, Noel Training & Consulting, Carl Pysher, Lebanon Transit
Cost: $290. PPTA cancellation policy applies.
Parking: Free, ample street parking is available at the Trolleyworks Conference Room.
Lodging: PennTRAIN has secured a block of rooms at the Fairfield by Marriott, located at 2915 Pleasant Valley Boulevard, Altoona, PA 16602. Rooms are available at the discounted rate of $96 per night, plus taxes and fees, on the nights of May 4, 5, and 6. Click here to book online, or call 814-946-0422 to book over the phone (mention PennTRAIN to receive the discounted rate). Rooms will be released on April 20.
Meals: Lunch and breaks will be provided during the training. Complimentary breakfast is available to those staying overnight at the Fairfield by Marriott. Please inform Sara Bowden at email@example.com of any dietary restrictions at least one week in advance.
Attire: Casual. Because it can be a challenge to keep the meeting room at a temperature that accommodates everyone, we recommend bringing a sweater or jacket to stay comfortable.
Available Seats: 12
The Trolleyworks Conference Room at Altoona Metro Transit is located at:
3316 5th Ave, Altoona, PA 16602