Book your hotel room today.
Tuesday, April 5, 2022 - 9 AM to 5 PM
Wednesday, April 6, 2022 - 8 AM to 5 PM
Thursday, April 7, 2022 - 8 AM to 3:30 PM
This class is open to all, irrespective of vaccination status.
Here's what you need to know before you go.
- Masks and Social Distancing will be expected and enforced.
- Speakers will be unmasked and properly socially distanced while training.
- PennTRAIN requires this waiver to attend any class beginning October 10, 2021. Please bring the first morning of the class.
PennTRAIN’s new Master Trainer Program is a Train-the-Trainer course that teaches best practices for training transit bus and paratransit operators. Through a combination of self-paced study and a three-day instructor-led course incorporating hands-on training, Master Trainer Graduates will exit the program with the knowledge and skills necessary to coach their colleagues to be safe and effective bus operators.
The Master Trainer Program is exclusively designed for public transit employees whose job responsibilities include training. We recommend utilizing TAPTCO's tips on how to select a trainer.
Deadline to Register: March 4, 2022. (Class size limited to 12)
Advance Work: Before attending the instructor-led course, participants must complete all of the following training programs. Each program is available online at any time.
- PennTRAIN’s Transit 101 (2 hours and 15 minutes)
- TSI’s Transit Bus Nomenclature (37 minutes)
- TSI’s Fatigue and Sleep Apnea Awareness for Transit Employees (50 minutes)
- TSI’s SMS Awareness (1 hour)
- TSI’s Curbing Transit Employee Distracted Driving (30 minutes)
- TAPTCO’s Trainer Certification Program (3 hours, 9 minutes) access provided upon registration
Instructor-Led Training: The three-day course will cover the following topics. Exact outline is subject to change.
Day 1 morning:
- Welcome, class overview, Ice Breaker
- Train The Trainer – It’s Not What You Teach, It’s What They Learn
- Play & Learn
- Understanding The Adult Learner
- Four Roles of the Trainer (Breakout Session)
Day 1 afternoon:
- Two Minute Presentations (Breakout Session)
- Training Tips for Success
- Dealing With Nervousness
- Training Techniques for Teaching a Skill
- Training Techniques Addressing Motivation & Attitude
- Training Methods that Work
- Effective learning
- Important Questions & Take-a-ways
Day 2 morning:
- Review of Day 1 & Icebreaker
- Review of Required Training, Documentation, Legal
- Required v Mandatory Training
- Topics & Lessons
- Where We Teach
- Deeper into Training Techniques
Day 2 afternoon:
- Stand Up & Share (In the Box)
- Practical Lessons: Who, What, Where, When
- Special Situations: Emergencies, Accidents, Injuries
- Review of TAPTCO and Other Training Materials
- Overview of Student Led Presentations
- Prepping for Student Led Presentations
Day 3 morning:
- Review to this Point
- Stand Up & Train (2-member, 10-minute presentations with review)
Day 3 afternoon:
- Developing Training Modules
- Developing Training Calendars
- Wrap up & Lessons Learned
- After Class on-going Activities
- Final Thoughts from Instructors & Group
Post-Course Work: Either before or within one year of attending the instructor-led course, participants must provide PennTRAIN with proof they completed at least one training program from each of the following categories. There is no minimum length for any program, and recommended sources will be provided.
- Defensive Driving
- Mobility Securement
- Operators/Employees (one of the following topics)
- Drug & Alcohol
- Bloodborne pathogens
- Safety (one of the following topics)
- Bus evacuations and emergencies
- Customers (one of the following topics)
- Conflict avoidance and harassment
- Mobility securement
- Understanding ADA
- Customer service
MASTER TRAINER CERTIFICATE
Upon completion of the outlined requirements, Master Trainer Certificates will be granted for a period of five years. Renewal requirements include:
- Attend at least two Master Trainer Retreats over the five-year period. Master Trainer Retreats will be scheduled 1-2 times per year.
- Deliver at least two workshops per year in their professional role as trainer at their agency.
- Attend at least one instructor-led training program per year. Alternatively, two live webinars or on-demand training programs can be substituted for one instructor-led training program.
Presented by: Tom Eser, rabbittransit; and MIchael Noel, Noel Training & Consulting
Cost: $290. PPTA cancellation policy applies.
Parking: Open parking at the Courtyard Marriott.
Lodging: PennTRAIN has secured a room block at COURTYARD & RESIDENCE INN BY MARRIOTT 1730 University Drive, State College, PA. The negotiated rate is $103 per night, starting April 4 - April 7, 2022. Use THIS LINK to book your room. You can also call 1-800-MARRIOTT or 1-814-238-1881 and use the code: PEN.
All rooms must be book before 3/28/22
Meals: Lunch and breaks will be provided during the training. Please inform Kristen Joyner at email@example.com of any dietary restrictions at least one week in advance.
Attire: Casual. Because it can be a challenge to keep the meeting room at a temperature that accommodates everyone, we recommend bringing a sweater or jacket to stay comfortable.
Available Seats: 16
Training will be at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel located at:
1730 University Drive, State College, PA 1601